Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Day 2

I woke up at 5:30AM this morning. Not sure why, and I hope this is not some habit my body is trying to start. I had about 1 more hour of sleep before I needed to be awake. Yesterday I had a lot on my mind and prayed when I woke up at 5AM. I would like to say I prayed and had a convo with God. All my conversation with God was this morning was "please, God, let me go back to sleep". I forced myself back into slumber. Unfortunately, I was RUDELY awakened by my alarm about 10 minutes later. The nerve of my alarm clock! At least the hot shower was comforting.

On my walk/bus ride to work I read the youversion.com reading for Day 2: John1:1-3, Psalm 8, and Psalm 104. My walk is only about 15 minutes and I finished all the readings before the bus ride was over. I greatly needed this read this morning. Psalms have such a wonderful and lyrical praise. David was truly blessed in conveying the praise for God from his heart. Despite my bitter awakening I walked to work with a little pep in my step and joy in my heart.

Psalm 104:33-34
I will sing to the Lord as long as I live. I will praise my God to my last breath! May all my thoughts be pleasing to Him, for I rejoice in the Lord.

That passage really stuck with me, and will definitely be a prayer I keep in my heart.

As I continue the Daniel's fast, despite it being the second day, I am realizing a nice energy after I eat. I don't get the "itis" after dinner, which helps me focus on my tasks for studying. I just need to get back in the gym and I might actually be deemed "healthy". I already encountered my first struggle on this fast.... cravings. After studying I was super hungry despite have a heaping bowl of lentil soup. I ate a banana and my stomach acted like it was the sea and that banana was a tear drop. I drank water... nothing. I am not the most pleasant when I am hungry, and it distracts me from studying. I made baked potato sticks (french fries). I have to dip something like that so I used my salsa. That curbed the craving for foods a bit, until I had a strong desire for milk chocolate. For those who know me they know I do not like chocolate unless it is pretty much just milk. Over the years I have warmed up to it, but still not my go-to. I have no idea what the craving means, but I mustered up some discipline and fought the craving. YAY me! These cravings might tend towards an interesting ride!

I came to the conclusion last night to move my January 24th MCAT test date to April 4th. I rescheduled and am feeling much better about this. My friend and study partner Samira helped me with my study plan. I will continue to study up to the 25th. Take a full length that Saturday and see what I would have made. Then I will take that Sunday to figure out where to study from there.

Today Covenant Church is asking us to focus our prayers during this fast on Cairo, Egypt. There are many Christians (mostly orthodox) in Egypt, but Cairo is predominantly Muslim. God protect those who venture out to spread His news. May they be guided by Him. I pray they go with out a fearful heart, but recognize the danger.

Source: http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/countries/egypt-photos/
Photograph by Edward Carroll
Viewed from atop a minaret, the Cairo skyline greets visitors with a fusion of religious tradition and modern realities. With over 11 million inhabitants in its metro area, the city that knew settlements as long as 6,000 years ago is presently the largest in the Middle East and Africa.


Today's Menu is the following:

Breakfast:
1 egg with 1 egg equivalent egg whites scrambled with black beans and potato
Hot Salsa

Mid-morning Snack:
Banana

Lunch:
Red beans with brown rice
Orange

Dinner:
Lentil Soup with kale

KCC-1/8/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment